This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Guidance on using Sample Classes

May 27, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Hi, Apologies for the following question as I'm not hugely involved with development but am trying to learn ...

I'm wanting to use your Sample class for connecting to MultipleLDAP sources but I'm confused as to how to deploy this. Do I modify your original source and add this class or do I need to remove your solution completely, and then add the LDAPCP Custom.wsp solution? What I'm ultimately looking for is all your admin functionality (ldap connection page / configuration with mappings page / configuration) but having the option to specify 2 ldap sources. Once again apologies for the nOOb question but I guess I'm wanting some guidance on how to use the multipleLDAP source sample.

Great Project and kind regards !
Coordinator
May 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM
hello,

no worries, let me clarify some things:
  • solution "LDAPCP custom" in "LDAPCP for developers" is standalone and does not require original LDAPCP.wsp solution to work. This is because solution"LDAPCP custom.wsp" embeds ldapcp.dll assembly directly. You can have both installed at same time on the farm, but if you only want to deploy your custom solution, there is no reason to deploy LDAPCP.wsp.
  • In current version, administration pages only work with sandard LDAPCP.wsp solution, you cannot use it in any claims provider that inherits LDAPCP. The reason for this is because each "custom" LDAPCP would need a unique persisted object, and the administration pages would need a way to connect to this unique persisted object. Implementing this is not as easy as it may sound, but I'm working on this (I have no ETA to provide now).
  • "LDAPCP for developers" project contains a feature receiver "LDAPCP.EventReceiver.cs" that is used to installed samples. It installs/uninstalls 1 sample at a time. You can check it and change it to deploy the sample you want, but make sure to uninstall a sample before installing another.
    You can always see which claims providers are installed in the farm with following PowerShell cmdlet:
    Get-SPClaimProvider| ft DisplayName
You should avoid to modify the original solution source code, that would make any subséquents upgrade difficult to implement, and you could run into unpredicable issues. I undertsand your goal is to use MultipleLDAP with administration pages, unfortunately it's not possible now, and I understand the need for this but as I said, I'm working on making this possible.

cheers,
Yvan
May 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Hi Yvan,

Thank you ... that has clarified things greatly for me.
Keep up the great work!

kind regards,
Dean.
Oct 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Hi Yvand,

First off, thanks for this.. it's awesome.

I can re-post this on the ldapcp2010 site if needed but I'm using the newest 2010 version and this was my question as well.

I noticed in the newest release for 2010 (changeset 31824, version 3.8), that the ADMIN folder was gone.

1. Can it be assumed that your 3 points above also apply to the 2010 version and that we'll want to hard-code the LDAP connection settings in the code if we want to go that route?
  2. Looking back and forth between this site and the 2010 site, many of the basics are the same. Do you happen to have the ability to show a general list of items that vary between the two (LDAPCP for 2010 vs 2013)? Haven't examined the 2013 code too much but I found a lot of answers on this Discussions section that seem to apply to the 2010 version.
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM
hello,
thanks for your great feedback, very appreciated!
To answer your questions:
  • no, ADMIN folder is not gone but it is (and has always been) only available with the standard version (both 2010 and 2013). It is not available with the developers version. I'm still thinking about the best way to make it available for the developers who customize LDAPCP but this is not simple.
  • This thread is quite old and since the last update, connection to multiple LDAP servers completely changed, and it is now far easier than before. Check class "LDAPCP_Custom" in developer package to see an example of this.
  • yes, LDAPCP for SharePoint 2010 and 2013 are very close, only différences are with WIF namespcaes
    cheers,
    Yvan
Oct 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM
My apologies for not being specific.. yes, the ADMIN folder was gone in the Developers version, not the standard.

Thanks again for the followup (even on the old threads) :)

Cheers!