This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Prefix to bypass lookup - change proposal

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:17 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2015 at 4:39 PM
While this is a great feature to be able to resolve non-existent users, there is a drawback when resolving a valid claim value for a user that actually exists in the store; the result is not 'enriched': no displayname and e-mail are set for the user.

This is easily fixed (though I can imagine you'd want to change the property name to something along the lines of: 'prefix to always resolve'

In the method: FillResolve(Uri context, string[] entityTypes, SPClaim resolveInput, List<Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.PickerEntity> resolved)

You would want to change the following:
After the else from the if alwaysresolveuserinputprop clause you don't want to immediately check the PrefixToBypassLookup, but first get the results, then if the result.count is 0 (or perhaps also when it's > 1) you want to check the attribute.PrefixToBypassLookup and then (if not null or empty) still add it as a valid pickerentity.

The pro is that users that actually exists in the story get 'enriched' by a resolve (meaning, they have a displayname and e-mail address)
The con is that it no longer skips the lookup entirely.

Is this something you would consider implementing?

Thanks in advance!
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2015 at 3:20 PM
Hello,
thank you for your proposition, it is very relevant and interesting.
I don't think it would be a big deal to not bypass lookup in this scenario, because it would still be possible with setting "AlwaysResolveUserInputProp". Besides I don't expect this would cause any performance issue neither.
So I will definitely consider this change and implement it if I don't find any unexpected side effect :)
Regards,
Yvan
Sep 1, 2015 at 4:45 PM
Yvan,

Thanks for your reply!
I'm glad to hear it's under consideration!
(I also noticed a small error in my explanation on how to change it in code and edited it in the origional post.)
If you could update this post with your descision (or an implementation :) ) it would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Caroline
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM
Hello Caroline,
I just published version 3.8 that contains your change request :)
Please test it and let me know if it works as expected!
thanks,
Yvan
Marked as answer by CarolineMD on 9/15/2015 at 5:38 AM
Sep 15, 2015 at 1:40 PM
Hello Yvan,

Thank you very much!
We've updated the solution in our acceptation environment and it seems to work as expected!
We'll run some more test and I'll let you know if we find something.

Caroline