This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Add custom properties to solution

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:24 PM
Hello,

First of all the solution works like charm. Thanks for that.

I am trying to add additional properties to the LDAPCP solution. Like adding a property Called "Minimum Characters to Start search". This will not start performing a search in the people picker unless the minimum number of characters is met, this will reduce the issues I saw somewhere else when they would type “a” and it would start searching, eventually it would time out.

Also, I am trying to add a custom option for user to limit the number of returned values.

I will really appreciate if I can get some help or suggestions to achieve above.

Thanks,
Abhi
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2015 at 2:05 PM
hello Abhi,
SharePoint does not call claims providers until user typed at least 3 characters in the people picker, so I don't think such a feature is necessary in LDAPCP.
About limiting the number of results returned, currently this is not available in LDAPCP, but is it really necessary? I think SharePoint already limits number of results displayed, so I'm not sure an additional setting for this would make sense.
thanks,
Yvan
Sep 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM
Hello Yvan,

Thanks for your response. A client has these requirements so I am left with not much choice, their argument is : they have 50,000 users and as you would type past the 3rd letter it would start retrieving results, which for 50,000 users was a nightmare and you would literally have to type the exact name you were looking for which beats the whole point. So they set the Characters limit.

I am assuming these two options are possible. if not please let me know.

Thanks,
Abhishek
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2015 at 4:00 PM
Hello Abhi,
this is technically possible to implement, but I prefer to be honest and I won't invest time to add that feature.
Whatever the number of user, SharePoint Product Group decided that 3 letters minimum is a good threshold to start querying the directory and I tend to trust them.
Besides SharePoint limits the number of results displayed in the people picker anyway.
If your customer really wants to be able to set the threshold, he may open a case to Microsoft Support and request the feature to Product Group.
thanks,
Yvan
Sep 9, 2015 at 2:59 PM
Thanks Yvan.