This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

LDAPS and error 0x80005000

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM
Hello folks,

I am able to add a new LDAP connection with a path of LDAP://<IP address of DC>/DC=Orgname,DC=local and test the connection to be good. However, when I switch to LDAPS by using LDAPS://<IP address of DC>/DC=Orgname,DC=local and testing, the connection is established and immediately returns the error
Unable to connect to LDAP for following reason:
Unknown error (0x80005000)
It may be expected if w3wp process of central admin has intentionally no access to LDAP server. 
This error occurs regardless of whether I select Secure and/or Encryption for authentication type. Using Secure and/or Encryption for auth type under a standard LDAP connection appears to not use StartTLS and produces the error "The server is not operational."

Has anyone else had any luck with LDAPS in LDAPCP? Any thoughts on what I might try to diagnose this issue?

Thanks,
ckindley
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM
Hello,
you can filter SharePoint logs on product/area "LDAPCP" to get more information on the error.
You should also try to use the options like "Secure" when you create the LDAP connection.
Thanks,
Yvan
Feb 4, 2016 at 6:16 PM
Hello Yvand,

Thanks for the advice. I do not see the failed connection attempts in the logs, however, and have ensured I have configured the LDAPCP monitoring to log verbosely. I do see LDAPCP events in the logs, just nothing related to the connection attempt.

Is there something else I should be looking for, or some way to actually see what is going wrong with this connection?

Thank you,
ckindley